Monday, August 13, 2007

Shape-shifter

I woke up early one morning
bawling my eyes out
silently screaming.
Strange, cathartic & disturbing all at once.

I tried to find reasons
as to why I would cry
literally in my sleep.
Justified though it may be
It makes little sense none the less.

I shudder at the thought of that moment
In my half dream/half conscious state
when I realized the wet tears pouring down my cheeks,
a waterfall of emotions pooling on my pillow.

Blips from my dream flashes in my mind.
Accusations piercing my just healed wounds,
humiliating words fly my way.
There I had no room to dodge.
There I had no control, no escape.

A child walked clumsily towards me,
followed by that shape-shifting monster.
He chomped down on my chains,
barely taking off my foot.
He told me I am free to come along.

My heart ached to follow and embrace the beast,
but instinct made me want to run.
The child stared at me with innocent eyes, pleading for me to come.
What would you have done?

I was paralyzed for a while
but the monster began to taunt me.
The same thoughts pounded through my mind
over and over.
Until finally I just flailed my arms
Running in circles,
screaming, crying at the top of my lungs.

Then I woke.

No comments: